Recycle Recycling & Household Waste Sites

Use this page to find information on your local recycling and household waste site (RHWS), sometimes known as a CA site or ‘the tip’.

If you have household recycling or waste to dispose of that isn’t collected as part of your kerbside collection service, then your local Recycling and Household Waste Site (RHWS) may be for you.

Waste Sites Update: Bottesford and Somerby waste sites are currently closed due to staffing shortages caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

County residents should use the search function of the Leicestershire County Council website to find  details of your nearest RHWS, its opening days and what types of waste are acceptable.

City residents should use the relevant page on the Leicester City Council website.


Accepted waste

Not all sites can accept all types of waste, so please check in advance of visiting. The types of waste currently accept are detailed on the waste site pages.

Whilst the service is generally free of charge, from May 2016 charges have applied for the disposal of some specified material types. Full details are available on the County Council website.

If you intend to dispose of some types of waste, for example paint or household chemicals, you may need to apply for a waste permit. You may also be directed to dispose of the material at a specific site. More details on the types of materials that require a waste permit, and how to apply for and use one are available here.


Opening times

Cars: opening times and days vary for each site and are detailed on the waste site pages. 4x4s are considered cars as long as all seats are present and forward facing. A 4×4 that has been adapted for the carriage of goods will be considered a van.

Vans and cars with trailers: opening days vary for each site and are detailed on the waste site pages. Vans include camper vans / motorhomes, minibuses, pick-up trucks and any vehicles constructed, intended or adapted for the carriage of goods up to 3.5t. These vehicles require a permit.


Pedestrian access is ONLY permitted at Mountsorrel and Barwell RHWSs.

Pedestrians will only be allowed on site if they have travelled to site by means other than a vehicle (excluding public transport). Residents that drive or are driven to one of these sites, should access the site in that vehicle and will not be permitted to walk onto site.


Trade waste

If you need a regular collection of business or commercial waste, you can arrange a collection through your district council or through a licenced waste contractor. For occasional or one-off disposal, you can take your waste to the Whetstone Transfer Station (visit the County Council website for a list of charges and to find out if pre-booking is required), to a commercial waste transfer station, or you can hire a skip.