The Waste Initiatives team at Leicestershire County Council are keen to increase our engagement with primary schools around waste prevention; reuse; recycling; and composting messages. We are looking to develop some new online resources for schools to use in their day to day classes. To help us to understand which resources and methods of engagement would be useful we would welcome some feedback from schools. If you would you be happy to arrange a short conversation with us and answer a few questions over the phone, please contact: email@example.com Tel: 0116 305 2843.
All of our resources are free to Leicestershire schools and academies, ranging from assemblies and workshops to downloadable resources and projects to help inspire students to be more aware of their environmental impact and what happens to their rubbish.
We currently offer face to face assemblies and workshops on the following topics:
- The importance of recycling
- Reducing packaging and single use items, including how to put together a packaging free lunchbox
- Reducing food waste
We would usually suggest allowing 15 to 20 minutes for an assembly and 45 mins to one hour for a workshop.
We also offer access to the following pre-recorded video presentations which can be watched online during assemblies or within the classroom:
- Recycling (7 minutes): Information around the importance of recycling; what happens to your recycling once it leaves your home and the issues around putting the wrong things in the recycling bin.
- Composting (5 minutes): This covers the benefits of composting; how the process works and what items to put in. We also offer guidance (and more detailed videos) for parents and teachers.
- Food Waste (4 minutes): This covers the impact of food waste; why it’s important to not throw food away and tips on reducing your own food waste at home.
- Love Your Clothes (5 minutes): Facts and information on textile waste and advice on smart buying, care and repair, upcycling, re-fashion and responsible disposal.
Assemblies, workshops and the pre-recorded videos can be requested:
- via our online form here . We will then be in touch to discuss your requirements further.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by telephone: 0116 305 7005
We also have a range of free resources for you to download and use, on our Leicestershire Traded Services website, including our School’s Recycling Challenge which is designed to help schools in Leicestershire to improve their recycling performance. To find out further information and to download resources please click on this link to our page on Leicestershire Traded Services.