Top tip: To keep bread fresher for longer, keep in a fairly cool, dark and dry place. If you’re not going to get through the loaf, be sure to freeze it – it works great for toast!
- 2 or 3 potatoes boiled (mashed)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 2 tablespoons sweetcorn and peas
- Any vegetables or meat of your choice
- Seasonings for flavour
- Cheese (optional)
- In a frying pan, fry the diced onion until tender.
- Add frozen sweetcorn, grated carrot and peas.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add the mashed potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and any other flavour to your taste.
- Toast one sides of the bread, spread a generous amount of filling on the outside. Top it with grated cheese. Then add the other slice of bread on top. Toast that side until the cheese has melted.
Food waste fact: Did you know each day in UK homes, 20 million whole slices of bread are thrown away? That’s the equivalent to 1 million loaves (each has 20 slices per loaf) (Source: WRAP).