Submitted by Deb from Melton
Food waste fact: Did you know each day in UK homes we throw away approximately 4.4 million whole potatoes and 3.1 million glasses’ worth of milk (Source: WRAP).
- Potato (peeled, diced small)
- Onion (peeled, sliced/chopped)
- Any leftover vegetables like a few frozen peas, a mushroom, a clove of garlic, a tomato
- Oil / margarine / butter for frying
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes then drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the onions and potatoes and fry until golden (You can add any other leftovers at this point, such as a few frozen peas, chopped garlic, herbs, cubed bits of cheese, that leftover bag of unfinished spinach, a chopped tomato, in fact – almost anything works!)
- Reduce the heat and cover with the lid.
- Beat at least 2 eggs with a little milk.
- Pour the egg mixture over the pan of potatoes/onions etc. Do not stir.
- Put the lid back on and turn off the heat and leave for a minute or two to cook from the residual heat.
- Remove the lid and place the pan under a grill until the dish begins to rise and become slightly golden.
- Serve immediately. Add sauce or season to taste.
- For added sides, toast some bread then rub a raw garlic clove over the toast for instant garlic toast!